Friday, November 1, 2013

THE CLOAK OF ANONYMOUS

To start off November with a bang, I decided to rack out a topic that I'm very opinionated on. If you've bothered to read off the title, you'll know I've chosen—possibly—Dollywood's most controversial topic since the beginning of the blogging era.

I'm completely honest when I say each and every one of you've been an anonymous at least once. Whether it was leaving a snarky comment on one's poorly written post with an unknown mask intact, or using your anonymous shield rattling off each and every person's flaws.

What's the incredulous look for? You know you've been there before.

Even I'll openly admit I've written behind an anonymous mask before. If anyone remembers back to my Anonymous by Name days, then you'll know I've been in the very position that ironically sways each and every one of Dollywood's opinions.

Many like for the kicks of it, to act as if they're the polar opposite of the said anonymous, countering against every syllable uttered by unknown. Others will agree completely with anonymous' opinions, for once someone (known or not) decided to speak the blatant truth. While there's some out there that are completely blunt about any and everything, chances the majority of voices are seeking to keep some sanity in their reputation.

After all, what's the fun of having no friends; each and every human being utterly disgusted with your simplest of moves.

It's not even limited to a blog. With the feature of anonymous in almost every comment section of Dollywood, it's becoming painstakingly easy—and dare I say, tempting—to publish a string of profanities upon a carefully crafted post. Medolls are constantly being ridiculed by the anonymous feature, sometimes even tearing their fragile egos. Why exactly is hiding behind an unknown mask so tempting?

Some may argue that it's to gain attention (without ruining their reputation), while others may come to the simple conclusion that these unknown have nothing better do with their time. I personally believe it's a healthy mixture of both.

I'll be honest here, the thrill of bringing down one's self-confidence is a drug of sorts. Do it once, and you're fueled with such a strong sense of sadistic elation. Do it again, and you're hooked. Constantly rattling one out for their minor flaws. Of course, with time, you're bound to realize harassing one really isn't as high and luxurious as it might've first appeared. It may be a simple one-time bitch slap, or numerous, uncountable times of full out f-bombs.

This isn't television kids; one time or another, you're bound to break. Even the coldest of souls will realize their wrong doings one of these days. May not be until they're lying on their death bed, but it'll eventually catch up with each and every one of us.

That's when another dose of anonymity will reign control. It's a never-ending cycle. You're never going to just be ridiculed by a single bored-out-of-their-mind forty year old man, but also those ten year old children who've been abused by their own peers. The problem being the fact you'll never know exactly who they are.

And one of those times, you'll be in the very same position.

The ultimate question is, why are you an anonymous? What's your purpose of hiding behind an invisible shield?

25 comments:

  1. Cuz we like it bitch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^ officially my favorite comment of the bunch... lol

      Delete
  2. Being anonymous lets them say whatever they want but keep their real identity clean. Whether their firing up a cat fight or like the person above me swearing their "invisible shield" protects them from the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you wrote about this topic, your writing style and your English is flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone should create a blog called Anonymous and every day they give one clue about who they are. Whoever guesses who they are first wins a huge prize. You could be a great host (LoveGossip4Life) because your experience with Anonymous By Name. Please reply back to this if you like this comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That idea is so fucking stupid bitch.

      Delete
    2. I said reply if you liked the comment.

      Delete
    3. I agree, worst idea ever

      Delete
    4. If you don't have anything nice to say why don't you shut the fuck up.

      Delete
    5. lol, I'm not sure what that'd do for the dollywood community, but I'll admit, it'd be a fun little game.

      Delete
    6. Hehe it's Roxanne

      Delete
  5. I agree with Venus and also want to say that I have never used Anonymous, since I always say what I think and don't care who knows it. But then again, I am much older than most Stardollians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JanaStarlite is not your real name.

      Delete
  6. Who are we all kidding? All user & nick names are anonymous nobody knows who anyone is, some dolls are scammed or hacked by others they thought they knew & trusted. And for those who give out their real names & their birth dates on websites just pray no one uses your ID for other purposes. Nobody knows who anyone really is, you put a dolls face or an avatar with a nick name beside it & feel you're not anonymous, when you're equally the same. The unknown mask & shield is the user name & the avatars or medolls it shows no ones true identity, and most websites don't encourage using personal ID because of the criminal purposes associated with it. I support those who use anonymity to protect themselves from those who they don't know. I however do not support those who use different names & anonymous names to insult, harass & bully others. To me anyone on the web I don't personally know is anonymous, regardless of if you stick a false user name or picture beside it or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more with you.

      Anyways, I think you (Lindsey) should write your articles in a simpler way. I do believe you have a wonderful English, and that's remarkable, but if you really want to reach a wide range of masses, use a simple and easy language. I must say that English is not my mother tongue, and I believe I have a great english, but I didn't understand most of what you wrote on this post because of your "cult vocabulary". I believe you'll do a great job. I hope you take my opinion in consideration.

      Delete
  7. I agree with Venus.
    I love how your writing always makes me put some effort into reading. Being a native english speaker, surrounded by writing every single day it takes no thought to read - isn't it just amazing how the human mind works? - but your writing makes me put effort into reading. And anything that does that is good in my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her writing makes us put some effort into reading because she puts too much effort into writing it. Her problem is she tries too hard.

      Delete
    2. Maybe so; but at least I'm writing for you to rave and review, no?

      Delete
    3. @Anonymous would you rather she put no effort into her writing, leaving it without proofreading and thought? You have to put a lot of effort into writing or you will basically end up with a pile of crap.

      Delete
  8. Why don't we just stop the h9 and listen to Lady Gaga's new album ARTPOP?!?! *surreptitious advertising*
    Trolololololololo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stardoll has it's own anonymous tropes anyway. With facebook though a lot of users are coming out about who they really are and it's kind of laffable.

    ReplyDelete